ADDRESS BOX

Dutch Agricultural Development & Trading Company BV - The Netherlands

tel: +31 85 489 2170
email: info@dadtco.nl


Dutch Agricultural Development Company Ltd. - Nigeria

tel: +234 809 990 5401
email: r.giesen@dadtco.nl


DADTCO Mandioca Moçambique Lda -
Mozambique

GSM : +258 823 08 5968
email: h.vanmelick@dadtco.nl


DADTCO Cassava Processing Ghana Ltd -
Ghana

tel: +233 244 771 535
email: eelco@dadtco.nl

Nigeria

DADTCO Nigeria

DADTCO Netherlands is the main (95%) shareholder of Dutch Agricultural Development Company Nigeria (DADTCO Nigeria), participating in a number of joint ventures with local partners and /or state governments. The remaining 5 % is held by a local shareholder with an association with DADTCO since 1992.  In all these partnerships DADTCO Netherlands provides the technology and management, and is the manufacturer and supplier of all equipment and cassava products produced for the Joint Ventures and other clients.. Therefore, the turnover of DADTCO Nigeria consists of the income from the sale of HQCF and HQCC, and management and marketing fees.

Taraba Cassava Processing Company Ltd (Jalingo, Taraba State):

This is a 12 000 - 15 000 MT pa HQCF plant consisting of a central Flash Dryer and 3 remote AMPUs. DADTCO Nigeria has a 60% shareholding while Taraba State Government Investment Company owns the other 40%. Management are seeking to expand the capacity of the plant and to extend its scope to also produce HQCS (native cassava starch) by investing in a starch refinery unit and associated logistics.

In addition to the current operational activities, DADTCO Nigeria is participating in 1 project in execution:

•    The Rivers State project, 51%, a partnership between DADTCO Nigeria, the Rivers State Sustainable Development Agency and Shell Petroleum Development Company, to produce HQCF.  Currently in execution and scheduled to come on line during Q1 2014;

DADTCO Nigeria’s aim is to establish at least twenty profitable, well managed and efficient cassava processing plants in the next ten years producing HQCC, HQCF, HQCS and cassava based syrups (maltose and dextrose) with proper recognition of the interests of all stakeholders, including the farmers.

Nigeria’s new policies in favor of the production of High Quality Cassava Flour (HQCF)

The transformation of Nigerian agriculture is the major cornerstone of the agenda of the present Government of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. The agricultural transformation agenda recognizes the need to create jobs, diversify the national economy and reduce the drain on natural wealth by importation of locally available food items. The transformation agenda is seen as imperative for the national security. A real shift has been made to realize the previous government inclusion act on cassava flour.

To enable a sustainable and effective transformation there is need to change the traditional farming system and not the individual farmer by developing a sustainable upstream sector, which involves building the capacities of farmers as well as introducing new improved technologies. At the start of the project, this transformation was not possible due to the lack of a viable market for DADTCO’s HQCF. This is notwithstanding previous government incentives for cassava flour inclusion in wheat flour as the market players did not encouraged past government objectives. Thanks to the New Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, a real shift has been made to realize these government objectives of 40% HQCF inclusion in wheat flour.

Cassava is a key element of the Government’s Agricultural Transformation Action Plan as Nigeria is the largest producer of cassava in the world and yet contributes zero percent in terms of value addition in global trade.

 

Nigeria, largest cassava producer in the world

Nigerian cassava production is by far the largest in the world; a third more than production in Brazil and almost double the production of Indonesia and Thailand. Cassava production in other African countries, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ghana, Madagascar, Mozambique, Tanzania and Uganda appears small in comparison to Nigeria’s substantial output. Nearly 90% of cassava production in Nigeria is for domestic food production and produced by smallholder farmers. Production yields are still extremely low and Nigeria could easily double its production.

Linking Farmers to Markets is the Key to unlocking the potential of cassava.

On a per capita basis, North Central is the highest producing state at.72 tonnes/per person in 2002, followed by South East (.56), South South (.47), South West (.34), North West (.10) and North East (.01). National per capita production of cassava is.32 tonne/per person.

Cassava plus project Nigeria

In anticipation of the Nigerian policies on cassava flour inclusion, DADTCO, IFDC and DGIS began the cassava public-private partnership (PPP) in 2010 and was completed in 2013, under the project name Cassava Plus (Cassava+). The project’s mission was to shift cassava from a subsistence crop to a cash crop. While fulfilling this mission, Cassava+ did not negatively impact local food security; because substantial yield increases ensure that crop surpluses can be sold without jeopardizing local demand. Additionally, Cassava+ generated environmental benefits through advanced soil fertility management practices that help prevent soil degradation.

 

Farmer’s direct needs are the focus of 2014

 

During the first two years, it was noticed that most farmers were willing to adopt low cost practices compared to technologies that required substantial cash outlays (i.e. the farmers were seen to have adopted proper spacing, ridging, and stem preparation techniques compared to fertilizer use, mechanization, or the purchase of improved varieties for their own individual fields). Now that farmers in Taraba are gaining trust in DADTCO and the guaranteed market that they provide, the Project will support innovative incentives to encourage additional investments to increase yields and reduce costs. These targeted incentives will be modeled off of the highly successful fertilizer voucher programme (i.e. mechanization vouchers and pre-packaged planting materials of improved varieties).

 

  1. Development and adoption of improved farming practices

Major focus will be on the infrastructural set-up to be able to distribute new improved disease free cassava stem materials, through the use of multiplication farms in combination with IITA. Secondly a first step has to be made to develop packages of applicable and sound Integrated Soil Fertility Management (ISFM) practices according to agro ecological and social circumstances during on-farm practices. Thirdly a new fertilizer blend will be developed that targets specifically the cassava growing conditions. There is a need to develop clear and concise handouts, as strip stories on production practices for project-supported farmers (audio and visual).

  1. Supporting farmer organization and root delivery logistics

Coordinate with DADTCO to organize and arrange transport logistics for root delivery of farmer groups in the intervention areas. Groups will be supported in the development of a payment system to farmers. Smallholder farmers will be trained on group dynamics, harvesting techniques, record keeping and economic analysis in the production and sales of cassava.

  1. Strengthening service provision (credit institutions, and mechanization owners/operators)

Provide supply contracts to project supported farmers to facilitate accessibility to loans from banks to purchase agricultural inputs, mechanization services, and improved planting material. Supply contracts are to be initiated 2-3 months before the commencement of farm operations (land preparation) to enable farmers to tender and source for credit facilities. Lack of labor is one of the major constraints in order to raise production. Therefore the introduction of the Rumptstad mechanization package is of utmost importance.